Tuesday, September 25, 2012

one already!?

Our baby Sebastian has just turned one. I can't quite compute this first birthday milestone. The thought makes me smile and weep at the same time. Seriously, where did time go? This time last year I had finished work (whoop!) and was nesting like crazy - cleaning cupboards I never go into and stocking the pantry as if I'd never shop again. I remember walking/wobbling around town in a daze - hovering somewhere between excited and petrified yet too tired to act out either emotion. I wondered when this labour thing would start and how I would cope. It was surreal to think I was days away from meeting the little person kicking inside me. I loved those kicks. Now he's on the outside and is kicking right in front of me. It's still surreal. I am so in love. I still feel - like I did in those first days - that he knows more than I do about how to grow this mother-child bond. I'm just playing along. A puppet on his strings. Frightening, I know. 

** Thank you to my friend Sarah for taking this beautiful photo. The shimmering light kind of captures the dreamy love I felt for Sebastian in those early days, although the sleep deprivation helped make everything feel a little hazy. He was four months old here and we were on a family holiday on the Sunshine Coast. I remember this sunset - it was divine.

Image by Sarah

4 comments:

  1. Hi there Frances,
    Just popping over from BYW Boot Camp. Lovely to meet you:) Congratulations on your bubba boy turning one. It's a wonderful milestone and the beautiful journey of motherhood has only just begun. It's the best time of your life {and the hardest} so enjoy. My bubba boy is now 12. I can't believe how quickly that time has gone.
    Love your blog!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Kim. You're my first ever comment! Just visited your blog. It's gorgeous. Looking forward to BYW too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ohhh that's exciting! First commenter! Look forward to reading more and learning along with you, Frances xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is such a dreamy image of you and your little bassie ... seems like yesterday x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by. :)