Sunday, September 2, 2012

birthday art for baby

I've decided to buy Bassie a piece of art every year as part of his birthday present. As his collection grows with him, I hope each piece and the story it tells will spark his imagination in some magical way. For his first birthday, I think I'll order this Hobo the Bear print (above) by illustration artist Jayme McGowan. Just looking at it makes me smile. The James and the Giant Peach and the Flight by Kite prints are cute-as-pie too. Jayme sketches her illustrations, then carefully cuts and layers them to create miniature paper scenes, which she then photographs. They're kind of like theatre sets, except built with pencils, paper, tweezers and teeny scissors instead of timber, hammer and nails. Here's a time lapse video of her creating a piece for an advert. So clever. 

image and art by Jayme McGowan

1 comment:

  1. I love your idea of buying a piece of art for your baby every year on his birthday! What a splendid idea!

    I am an artist and wish I had thought of this for my Godson.

    Wishing you all the best,
    Mary (from BYW Bootcamp)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by. :)