Saturday, November 10, 2012

sibella court, objects and memories

Earlier in the week I heard Sydney stylist, creative director and author Sibella Court speak at Riverbend Books to launch her new book, Bowerbird. She is such a sweetheart - down-to-earth, passionate, grateful - and clearly a go-getter. She works constantly ("there's no loitering by the water cooler for me", she explained sweetly) but like most creatives and entrepreneurs she doesn't see her job as "work" because it feeds her soul. 

This year alone Sibella has traveled to 20 countries (she noted Ecuador and the Galapagos Islands were standouts) for design inspiration and research for her books. 

Ever the collector, Sibella made me smile when she said: "I'm not great at remembering what happened last week, but I can tell you about the people I was with and the place I was in when I collected an object from many years ago. It's just that I don't record my life chronologically but rather by the objects I treasure." 

Sibella also commented that collecting objects on her travels and through her life is her way of slowing down, of focusing on the little things, of finding calm within the chaos. I guess this theory rings true whether you are globe trotting or simply pottering in your garden.

I love how memories are hinged to special objects, whether they are found or purchased, received or gifted. When I look around my home and dig through my cupboards, drawers and my great-grandfather's wooden war chest, I find so many precious memories hung on walls, tucked in boxes and wrapped in fabric. 

Last month, I found dried flowers and seeds I had saved from Spain when I lived there 10 years ago. Pressed inside a folded piece of paper, their spicy scent took me back to the cork oak tree farm where I stayed alone in a yurt for a month over summer. There I would read books outdoors for hours on end until the sun slipped behind the hills beyond. Feels a lifetime ago. 

Sibella's book will inspire me to display my treasured objects - perhaps to pop the dried seeds in a tiny glass bottle on my desk, rather than stashing them in cupboards and folded bits of paper.


What would you choose to display if you dug out your memories? 

I'll be picking up a copy of Bowerbird from my friend Sarah's stunning interiors and homewares store, Carmel's Designs, at James Street, Burleigh Heads. Her two other stores are at Mooloolaba and Peregian Beach. So worth a visit. Sarah is a natural when it comes to displaying things beautifully. 

Image: These are four of my favourite things (L-R) A hand-crafted Moroccan ceramic cup from my other dear friend Sarah to celebrate my boy's first birthday; a stone sculpture from our home country of South Africa that I took borrowed from my parents - they've had it in our home since I can remember; two of the three little bison milk jugs my very generous elder sister, Nichola, bought for me on my birthday many moons ago. 

3 comments:

  1. What a magnificent photo Fran! And what adventures you've had. I have little collections of bits and bobs all over the house that take me back to a time, a place we visited, a meal shared. The tiny antique silver filigree box we put our wedding rings in is a particular favourite. We it passed around to everyone at our wedding as we made our vows and everyone held them and said a wish, a prayer, shared their hopes and dreams for us through them. ANd a steel sunflower my Dad made for me. Such lovely words...you really made me think. Wishing you a lovely week with your little buddy.
    Steph :) x
    P.S. My brother was born in South Africa...Mum and Dad travelled there and ended up staying for about 7 years. They came home when Mum was heavily pregnant with me. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh i just love the sound of that book and a beautiful photo ... your pictures are really looking so soft and dream like. you know me ... i just love little bits and bobs around the house that hold meaning. shells, pebbles, little nesting bowls and pictures of my boys - usually at the beach or just captured in the moment doing sweet little things.
    i will have to go and have a little search and more of a think about this (i would like to do a follow up post) on my little space - you made me think! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. HI Steph and Sarah. Thanks for visiting! Steph, I love the sound of the wedding box blessed with all the love and wishes from your guests. Such a sweet idea.

    And Sarah, you are the queen of displaying things in the most special way. I love pottering around your home and seeing the lovely things you have arranged just so. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by. :)