Tuesday, November 20, 2012

a beautiful little breather

So, as I discovered last weekend, the wise women around me were right - the anticipation of leaving my little boy for the first time was worse than the actual experience of being away from him. Sure, I missed him and daydreamed about him, but the "missing" didn't hurt like I feared it might. 

After 48 hours away from home and my family, I returned feeling more "me" than I have in a long time. To walk, swim, eat, shower, sleep, do yoga, meditate, be pampered and read (book of choice: Sibella Court's Bowerbird - love, love, thank you Sarah!) at my own pace, as an individual entity, was pure bliss. I haven't felt like that in two years, since before I was pregnant. So refreshing.

The part I didn't enjoy was seeing Bassie's reaction upon my return. At the first sight of me, he beamed the brightest, sweetest smile. But the smile quickly switched to a frown and for the rest of the afternoon he refused to look at me, and preferred to be in his dad's arms rather than mine.

I hear this reaction - to make you pay for leaving - is common. Please tell me it is.

I am so grateful for the love and support around me - for my husband for holding the fort, my mum for helping out and putting Bassie to bed, and my family-in-law for keeping my two boys company. 

Image above: I love this pic of Bassie, taken by my husband.
Image below: i spent a lot of time by this pool. you can see why. 


4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful little man! Both of my babies get "miffed" when I'm out for the day. Yes they are huffy for a wee bit but they soon get over it. So lovely to have such a relaxing time for yourself. Wishing you a beautiful week :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am so pleased for you ... that pool is perfection. and miffed is just the right word. my boys do that all the time! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. that pool. and that face in the first picture. so lovely! x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by. :)