Saturday, October 13, 2012

on starting a blog

I’ve just begun the Blogging Your Way Boot Camp run by Holly Becker of decor8 and I have to admit, my head is in a spin. I’m desperately trying to digest the expert advice Holly is sharing with us, particularly the issue of being authentic and of finding your voice. This is proving trickier than I expected.

You see, as a freelance writer I am used to sharing other people’s stories, of finding their truth and communicating it as purely and honestly as possible. I also work in public relations so I’m the one behind the scenes, orchestrating media opportunities for others and shining the spotlight their way.

The decision to start a blog was a no-brainer in many ways as I need a place to house my published articles. I'm also desperate to capture Bassie's journey as he grows before my eyes. But the angst that comes with sharing such personal moments and views is new to me and excruciatingly uncomfortable. Needless to say, finding my voice is proving a daunting exercise, especially since I’ve just become a mum so my role in the world has flipped upside down and turned inside out.

But what I’m learning from Holly and from so many of the brave people I interview is that you have to start somewhere. Nothing is perfectly formed from the beginning. New projects take time and reflection, practice and creativity, discipline and doggedness to grow into something worthwhile. So here I go. This little blog is just the beginning. Because I just have to start.   

1 comment:

  1. I love the look of your blog. Such beautiful images. Trying to find my voice too via BYW! Good luck to you:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by. :)