Monday, February 18, 2013

inspiration is all around

I have been feeling a little ill and weary of late, so I've been looking to others for inspiration. It's heartening to see these women I admire achieve their creative writing dreams. I hope to interview some of these writers in this space soon. 
  • My stupendously gifted friend Christine Sharp is an author, illustrator, artist, book designer and editor. Christine will launch her first picture book for children, Bea, on February 28 at Avid Reader in West End, Brisbane. It's about daring to be different and staying true to yourself. I expect to find pure whimsy and joy in those pages. 
  • Brisbane photographer, writer and stylist Chantelle Grady's first book, Devorer Montreal (in English, Devour Montreal) is due out soon. It's published in French because it is French! Chantelle hopes an English version will follow soon. She shares how this serendipitous project was born here on her stunning blog. I love this video of how it all came together. Enchanting.  
  • Ange Takats is a journalist, author, and singer/songwriter. She is one of those people who makes her dreams happen and if I didn't know her better I'd think good fortune falls in her lap. But I know how hard she works to realise her creative projects. I went along to her charming CD launch at the Sandgate Town Hall. Her new album, Arva, is just delightful. Do yourself a favour and listen here. Being the go-getter she is, she's also written and self-published a book of her travel memoirs, The Buffalo Funeral.
  • Writer and interiors stylist Pia Jane Bijkerk will soon release her fourth book, Little Treasures: Made by Hand. Through the very cool Pozible campaign, she called on her creative community to pre-purchase her book to enable her to self publish and they responded! She wrote a post full of gratitude on her blog here. I interviewed Pia for Peppermint magazine in 2011 and I've followed her blog for years. Pia's baby girl turned one last week, which I find a reassuring reminder that you can still achieve your dreams with a little one tugging at your leg (and your heart).  
Inspiration is all around (as my sweet friend helps remind me).

5 comments:

  1. It most certainly is! Shame to hear you've been under the weather. Looking after a little poppet is tiring enough! Looking forward to these lovely interviews and wishing you beautiful, gentle days :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you're feeling better this week. Christine's book looks just gorgeous, will have to check it out. Take good care x

    ReplyDelete
  3. the time we spend {even in the busiest of moments with our boys} together always leaves me feeling inspired and and so thankful for our sweet friendship. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. ps. so wish i could make it to the book launch with you. it will be lovely x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Fran, do hope you are feeling better. Love the photos of Sebastian.

    Lots of love
    Aunt Sal xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to stop by. :)